- Community and Parents
August 26, 2022
Dear Westside Parents and Community Members,
Today we completed our 3rd full week of this school year, and our students are off to a great start. We appreciate all of the families who attended our Back to School Night Programs, and had a chance to get acquainted with your children’s teachers and their expectations for students this school year. As many of you know our schools are holding their annual PTA membership drives, and I am hopeful you’ll take time to find out more about the great work done by our PTA volunteers to help make some special memories for our students.
Many parents want to keep current on their children’s work completion and ongoing grades. Please be sure to take a look for that information on PowerSchool, the District’s Student Information Management system. If you need support in accessing PowerSchool, please contact your child’s school staff or visit the District’s website at www.westside.k12.ca.us
At the beginning of the school year, we administer the fall NWEA assessment to determine the academic level of our students. Testing concludes today for all students K-8th. If you have questions, please contact the staff at the school or call Laura Duran, Director of Assessment. Assessment results from your children’s testing will be available to you in the coming weeks. For 3rd-8th grade students, test results from last year’s state tests will be available for you online.
Westside has many current job openings. If you are interested in working to support teachers in the classroom, we are in need of finding Instructional Assistants at most of our schools. We also have several openings in our Instructional Technology Department, Maintenance and Operations, and various openings on both our school sites and the District Office. You can find our openings posted on EdJoin if you’d like to apply. Thanks for considering us.
Please note that our procedures for reducing activity during excessive heat days can be found on our website under the Health Services tab. If you have any questions about the procedures, please contact the Health Services staff at your children’s school.
Since we have opened school for the year, we have experienced several Covid cluster cases at a few of our schools and these clusters are reported to the LACDPH. We are hopeful that the cases will decrease as we continue to follow the protocols of LACDPH which are now aligned with CDPH. As a reminder the protocols are:
● Wash hands often
● If you feel sick, stay home until you are better
● If you test positive for Covid, stay home until your symptoms are gone and you have tested negative for Covid. Tests may be obtained from the Health Office at your local school.
● If there is a case in a classroom, standards applied will depend on the mobility of students inside the classroom.
● Younger grades (UPK-1) generally have students who move between activities. In that case the standard of close contact may be based on “shared air” for 15 minutes or more for any 24 hour period. All students who are asymptomatic may remain in school but are required to mask indoors for 10 days, test on day 5. Students are not required to wear a mask outside or while eating or drinking
● Students in other grades generally remain in an assigned seat for most of the school day, and close contact will be students who were within 6 feet of an infected person for 15 minutes in a 24 hour period of time. All students in the close contact group can remain in school as long as they are asymptomatic, but need to mask indoors for 10 days and test on day 5. Students are not required to wear a mask outdoors or while eating.
● Employees and volunteers will use the contact standard of “shared air”, may remain on campus as long as they are asymptomatic and test on day 5. They are required to wear a mask indoors for 10 days from the date of exposure. For adults, the standard is from CalOSHA.
Labor Day Holiday
All of our schools and facilities will be closed on Monday, September 5, 2022, in recognition of Labor Day. I am hopeful that you will enjoy the holiday with your family and friends.
The next regular meeting of the Board of Trustees will be held on Tuesday, September 6, 2022. The meeting will be held at Hillview Middle School in the Multiple Purpose Room. The agenda for the meeting can be found on the District website under the Board tab.
Thanks again for all of your understanding, cooperation, and support during our first month of this school year. We are looking forward to a successful academic year for all of our students, and appreciate all the work of our staff and parents in helping our year progress as smoothly as possible.
Regina L. Rossall