6th Grade Honors Academy
Do you have a 5th grader looking for a challenge in 6th grade? Do they want the chance to be on a middle school campus and experience all of the things middle school has to offer? If you answered yes to these questions, then Hillview's 6th grade Honors Academy might be the place for you. All of the information presented at our parent meeting on 3/16 is posted here, as well as our application. Please don't hesitate to email Mr. Weber with any questions. firstname.lastname@example.org .
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY APRIL 15TH AT 3:30PM TO BE CONSIDERED.
You can read the requirements for the academy below. Here are links to the Application, the Transfer Form, and a Brochure for the Academy. Applications (and a completed online transfer form) are due via email to Mr. Weber, (or hard copies dropped off at Hillview) by April 15th, 2021. If you live outside of Westside's boundaries, you must also get a release from your home school district, but that can wait pending acceptance. You can email Mr. Weber at email@example.com.
2020-2021 Information and Application Document Requirements
- 6th Grade Honors Application - Microsoft WORD Version for emailing or PDF version for dropping off at Hillview.
- 6th Grade Academy Online Transfer Link: https://www.westside.k12.ca.us/enrollment *Required for ALL in district applicants*
- NWEA assessments are given in the 3rd quarter. You need that report as part of your enrollment packet, and should get it from your child's school. If you don't receive that with your child's 3rd quarter progress report, please email your child's principal and they can email you a copy.
- TWO most recent report cards:
- 4th Grade End of the year Report Card
- 5th Grade 3rd Quarter Report Card - Please be sure to send formal copies of your child's report cards / progress reports. Please DO NOT simply send a screen shot from PowerSchool. *Required*
As noted in the application, in addition to the paper documents, please be sure to complete the District's Online Enrollment. This can be done before or after you submit the paper documents, but needs to be done by the deadline. Here is a link to that District page again: https://www.westside.k12.ca.us/enrollment
You will click on "2022-2023 Online Enrollment and Transfer Application." You will be directed to a place to either sign in or create an account.
If you live outside of Westside's boundaries, and are not already a Westside student, you must get a formal release from your home school district. This can wait until you are notified if your child is accepted, or can be sent in early. Typically, that school district will send those documents to Westside; however, if you need to mail it, please send it to:
Westside Union School District
41914 50th St. W.
Quartz Hill, CA 93536
Hillview Middle School 6th Grade Honors Academy Program Requirements
This program will be held at Hillview Middle School and provide academic challenges with accelerated expectations preparing students for continued achievement.
- If using letter grades, the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA or higher each semester in 4th and 5th grade; no D or F grades. Students on a Standards Based report card must have “2” or higher scores each semester during 4th grade, AND “2” or higher scores on their 5th grade 1st semester and 3rd quarter progress report. *
- Students must have a “3” or “4” score in College and Career Readiness on their 5th grade, 3rd quarter report card. **
- Scores at or above 70th percentile on the NWEA 5th grade, 3rd quarter Language Arts AND Math Assessments. Out of district students must show proficient levels on their 5th grade district assessments. ***
- An average of 10 or fewer absences when looking at both 4th and 5th grade attendance. ***
* - Students who meet grade requirements, but have multiple “2” scores, will be considered if space is still available after considering students who meet grade requirements and have “3” and “4” scores.
** - Students from out of district must have an A/B or equivalent score in citizenship (or similar category) on their 5th grade report cards.
*** - Quarantine Absences do not affect this number. Students who don’t meet the bottom two criteria may still apply; however, they will only be considered if space is available after acceptance of all students that meet all levels of eligibility.
Acceptance to this program involves a commitment from parents and students. Classes will include: Honors Language Arts, Honors Math, Honors Social Studies, Science Lab, PE, and Exploratory Classes. The Exploratory classes consists of several different classes that students transition through. Classes typically include: Project Lead the Way, Robotics, and AVID. Students will also work as a whole group on one community based project each year. Students will also have access to all middle school extracurricular activities.