6th grade STEALTH Applications
UPDATE for 6th grade Honors Academy Applications
April 22, 2020 is the deadline to mail in applications and still make the open enrollment window. We will continue to accept applications after the 22nd, however, those sent in by the due date will be considered first.
- For 3rd quarter grades: If your school mailed out a progress report, please use that. If not, or you are worried it won’t come in time, a printout from PowerSchool is fine. Please just be sure to select the tab for standards-based grades, and then expand all the tabs so each grade is clearly visible.
- For NWEA Reports: Your child’s teacher or school principal can email you a .pdf of this report that you can print and include with your application.
- Turning in the application: The complete application packet must be mailed to the district office (see the address below). As long as it’s postmarked by April 22, it counts for being part of the open enrollment.
- Transfers: If you are on an inter-district transfer from another school district, you DO NOT need to go to that district for another transfer request. On the application form included in the packet, please write in big letters “ON INTER-DISTRICT TRANSFER.” If you already filled that out and sent it in, that’s alright, we will figure it out. Everyone else needs to fill out and complete the transfer paperwork in the packet. See the update below for more details on transfers.
UPDATE FOR ALL PARENTS: In addition to mailing in the packet, you MUST also complete an online application. This can be done before or after you submit the application packet, but please try to complete this by the 22nd. This online application is for the district, and something that is new this year. You will need to visit the district webpage to access the enrollment portal. Right now, it’s a pop-up window on Joe Walker’s site and the district page, but if you don’t see that, visit the district webpage at www.westside.k12.ca.us. On the district page, you can click the enrollment tab, https://www.westside.k12.ca.us/enrollment and then click on “2020-2021 Open Enrollment Transfer Application.” You will likely need to create an account to continue. We apologize for this additional step, but again, please try to complete that by the 22nd.
Westside Union School District address:
41914 50th St. W.
Quartz Hill, CA 93536
Attention Honors Program
Thank you for your interest in applying to the Joe Walker Middle School - STEALTH Academy. The following is a list of answers to “Frequently Asked Questions” that you may find helpful.
Who can participate in Joe Walker Middle School – STEALTH Academy?
STEALTH education is a school wide program for students enrolled in the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. There are a limited number of 6th grade seats available for incoming 6th grade students. All students who attend Joe Walker will participate in the STEALTH Academy.
How does my 5th grade student enroll in the 6th grade program at Joe Walker Middle School – STEALTH Academy?
ALL current 5th grade students/incoming 6th grade students MUST apply for the STEALTH Academy (regardless of whether the student is a current Westside Union School District student) AND complete the appropriate Inter District Transfer or Intra District Transfer request. STEALTH Applications, Inter/Intra Transfer requests, and all documentation should be mailed to the WUSD office between March 1 – April 22, 2020.
How will applying students be selected?
1. All students applying for the academy must meet grade requirements which include:
a. If using letter grades, the equivalent of a 3.0 GPA or higher each semester during 4th and 5th grade with no D or F grades.
b. Students on a Standards Based report card must have “2” or higher scores each semester during 4th grade, AND “2” or higher scores on their 5th grade, 3rd quarter progress report. *
2. Students must have a “3” or “4” score in College and Career Readiness on their 5th grade, 3rd quarter report card. **
3. Scores at or above 70th percentile on the NWEA 5th grade, 3rd quarter Language Arts Assessment, AND scores at or above 70th percentile on the NWEA 5th grade, 3rd quarter Math Assessment. Out of district students must show proficient levels on their 5th grade district assessments. ***
4. Student Meets or Exceeds Standards on 4th grade ELA & Math State Tests. ***
5. An average of 10 or fewer absences when looking at both 4th and 5th grade. ***
* - Students who meet grade requirements, but have multiple “2” scores, will be considered if space is still available after considering students who meet grade requirements and have “3” and “4” scores.
** - Students from out of district must have an A/B or equivalent score in citizenship (or similar category) on their 5th grade report cards.
*** - Students who don’t meet eligibility criteria #3, #4 and/or #5 may still apply; however, they will only be considered if space is available after acceptance of all students that meet all levels of eligibility.
How does 6th grade at Joe Walker Middle School – STEALTH Academy differ from 6th grade at the elementary school?
6th grade students will receive departmentalized instruction in each content area. Therefore, each student will receive instruction from a credentialed teacher in Math, Language Arts, Science, History, Physical Education, and Electives. 6th grade students will have access to the same electives, extra-curricular activities, and specialized programs as the 7th and 8th grade students.
How do I apply?
Applications are available now in the Joe Walker Middle School office and online at http://westside.k12.ca.us/jw. Transfer requests are available for download. STEALTH Applications, Inter/Intra Transfer requests, and all documentation should be mailed to the WUSD office between March 1 – April 22, 2020. Students will be notified of selection in June 2020.
How do I know which classes and programs are available?
Students and parents will want to attend the Joe Walker Middle School STEALTH Academy – Community EXPO on March 19, 2020 from 5:00 – 7:00 pm to learn about our exciting classes and program offerings; an informational session regarding incoming students will be held at 5:00 pm in the cafeteria. Specific program requirements and applications will be available, and specialized program advisors will be available for questions.
What is the difference between an inter-district transfer and an intra-district transfer?
An inter-district transfer applies to a student who does not reside in the Westside Union School District boundaries. An intra-district transfer applies to a student who does reside in the Westside Union School District boundaries but does not reside in Joe Walker Middle School boundaries. All incoming 6th grade students must complete an Intra District or Inter District transfer.