Meet the Counselor
Welcome to a new school year! My name is Chrissy Parker and I am so excited to join the Sundown community as the new School Counselor this year! A few things about me:
- I’m passionate about helping students and believe that ALL students can succeed in school and life when given the proper support.
- I have several years of experience with foster youth and have been so fortunate to work with amazing, resilient, driven, and talented youth and their families.
- I am an alumnus of University of California, Riverside and University of La Verne with degrees in Psychology and Educational Counseling.
- I love swimming, being outdoors, and spending time with my hubby and 2 dogs!
So what does a school counselor do exactly?
Gone are the days of reactive “guidance counselors” who just meet with students in crisis. Today’s “school counselors” are collaborators, leaders, advocates, and change agents in schools, working to impact the achievement and holistic development for ALL students. We use data to monitor and measure the results of our programs and partner with everyone to improve student outcomes. Some of the services I provide are:
- Core Curriculum Lessons: Provided to all students in the classroom, topics include those that are relevant to all students’ developmental needs such as social skills, coping skills, time management, and postsecondary readiness.
- School-Wide Programs and Activities: Such as national and local awareness events, assemblies, and so much more!
- Small Groups: Provide extra support for students who may be having difficulty in a specific area.
- Individual Support: Short-term, goal-focused individual services for students as appropriate.
- Consultation, Collaboration, and Referrals: Working together with other partners helps to ensure that our students receive the best support!
My overarching tasks over the next year:
- Continue the development of a counseling program that is aligned to Sundown’s mission and goals, the American School Counselor Association National Model, and state and national standards.
- Ensure the school counseling program is culturally sensitive, comprehensive in scope, preventative in design, developmental in nature, and an integral part of the total Sundown educational program.
- Utilize input from the entire Sundown community in tailoring the program elements and services to our students’ unique needs.
- A high-quality school counseling program takes time to build and feedback from many different voices. I look forward to working with you to create the best possible school counseling program for Sundown’s students and families.