Westside Academy School Uniform
Westside Academy is a uniform school. Please remember that all students MUST be in uniform, and all clothing that is worn in the classroom must comply including outerwear. Uniforms can be purchased at almost all local stores including K-Mart, Walmart, Target, and Gen-X. Here is a list of acceptable clothing.
Please note that students are not let into class out of uniform! We will try to reach you via telephone and/or email to bring a change of clothes. If we cannot reach you, your student will be working in an alternate location. It's important to check your child's clothing, because we make no exceptions to the policy after the first week of school.
- PANTS: Uniform style long pants (dark blue or black). Blue jeans (Levis) are not allowed. The waistline of the pants should be no larger than 1 1/2" bigger than the student's natural waist.
- SHORTS: Uniform style "board" shorts (dark blue or black). These are the shorts that go below the knee. Regular shorts are not allowed.
- SKIRTS: Uniform style skirts (dark blue or black). These are skirts that have built in shorts and are longer than regular shorts.
- SHIRTS: Short sleeved, collared polo shirt with no logos (white or grey). A collared, button-up white dress shirt is also allowed.
- SWEATSHIRTS: Sweatshirt with no logo (dark blue, black, white, grey). Sweatshirts can be pull-over or zip up. Students should have a sweatshirt available even in hot weather due to the airflow from the A/C vents.
- OUTDOOR COATS: There are no restriction on heavy coats, but coats cannot be worn indoors.
- SOCKS: Solid color
- SHOES: No flip-flops or "bedroom slippers". Sandals must have a back strap. Tennis shoes are preferred.
- BELTS: No oversized belts or belts with heavy buckles or chains.
Students at Westside Academy are on an Independent Study contract for the school year, but we expect most students to attend school daily and to do a minimum of one hour of their online studies from home each day as homework. We can easily arrange for modified attendance based on a student's needs, but supporting work is mandatory to issue attendance credit. Students who do not attend school daily, and do not work from home, will be marked absent. Students who are continually absent with no supporting work are subject to return to their home school.
Please be aware that students are REQUIRED to attend school for all testing days, and they will not receive attendance credit if they miss school during their testing window.
CELL PHONE POLICY
- All phones must be off and away. Students may not keep cell phones on vibrate without prior permission.
- Cell phones must be stored in the student's backpack, which is kept with them at their seat. They may not take out the phone during the day without permission for any reason or it will be subject to confiscation and merit loss.
- If a student does not have a backpack, cell phones are stored in the office for security. They will be returned at the end of the day.
- Please see the handbook, which is available in the "Student Life" section, for specific information about the cell phone policy.
INFORMATION NEEDED DAILY
- Students should know how they are getting home daily and have the proper amount of money if they are taking the city bus.
- Students must leave campus immediately. Students are not allowed to be in the park next door after school without adult supervision, even if their school day has ended. The sheriff regularly patrols the park and will ask your child to leave if they are hanging out in the park.
MEALS AT SCHOOL
- CLICK HERE to access menus and online meal apps on the School Nutrition website. If you have a CalFresh number, have that number handy.
- ALL students who are on free/reduced need to fill out a new application each year. Your qualification will carry over from last year, but will end at the end of August. If a new application has not been received by that time, meals will be charged, so be sure and reapply ASAP at the beginning of each new school year.
- If your child will be regularly eating at school, it is suggested that you set up an account in "Meal Pay" so they have money on their account. Your child's account number does not change as you move to different schools in the district.
- AM students are offered breakfast at 8:00AM. The cutoff for ordering breakfast is 7:40 AM.
- All students are offered lunch at the end of their session (11:00 & 2:00).
- If you would like to apply for the meal program, you can apply online. Go to the district website, click on "Child Nutrition". On the next page, there is a big "meal application" icon on the left side. Click on that. On the next page, click on the text that says "online meal application".
- Just follow the prompts to fill out the application. If you have a CalFresh number, have that number handy.
Here is a general grading scale to help you determine your child's grade when you receive the percentage based progress reports.
The Westside Union School District has the primary responsibility for compliance with federal and state laws and regulations. We have established Uniform Complaint Procedures (UCP) to address allegations of unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying, and complaints alleging violation of state or federal laws governing educational programs, the charging of unlawful pupil fees and the non-compliance of our Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP).